24 February 2007

It's a harsh world for QA engineers, apparently

During a phone screen the other day, a QA candidate expressed to me some degree of shock and amazement that, upon finding a bug, he would be able to "talk to the engineer and maybe look at some code" to try and understand the issue.

I'm probably just hopeless naive, I know, but I in turn expressed some degree of shock and amazement that any functional and productive team in 2007 would do it any other way.

From all the QA candidates I've talked to, I'm getting the clear impression that the working conditions for QA engineers and testers are pretty bleak. A lot of them do sprint after sprint for faceless contracting agencies, many of them are kept in isolated testing farms away from the "real" engineers doing the "real" work, some are given insufficient resources to test with, and a few have even told me that they feel the data the collect and report up is not considered of significant value to the project.

Sheesh.

No comments: